|Noriyuki Hachiya, Ph.D
|Chief Scientist of Social Science Section.
My main research interests have been in public health, particularly in
epidemiology, environmental health and risk evaluation of environmental
chemicals. Recent research themes include investigation on social effects
of Minamata disease and on adverse health effects and risk communication
of the low level exposure to methylmercury. I think itfs very important
for the scientist to take the responsibility for society on its understanding
and accepting the scientific accomplishments.
|Subjects of study and affair
- Study on social impacts of Minamata disease and regional restoration
- Social history in Minamata disease area
- Study on the current living conditions of Minamata disease patients
- Study on risk communication of low level exposure to methylmercury
- Association of perinatal factors, postnatal developments and methylmercury
concentration of cord blood in Tokyo/Sado cohort
- Hair mercury analysis in Japan
|Social and epidemiological approaches to Minamata disease
Working group on risk recognition and information service
|Work of study
- Hachiya N: The history and the present of Minamata disease -Entering the second
half a century-, Japan Med Assoc J, 49, 112-118 ( 2006).
- Hachiya N, Yasutake A, Sakuma M, Koba K, Urashima M: Methylmercury concentrations in cord blood and related factors in Tokyo/Sado
cohort, 8th International Conference on Mercury as a Global Pollutant,
Madison, USA (2006).
- Koizumi A, Yoshinaga T, Harada K, Inoue K, Morikawa A, Muroi J, Inoue S,
Eslami B, Fujii S, Fujimine Y, Hachiya N, Koda S, Kusaka Y, Murata K, Nakatsuka H, Omae K, Saito N, Shimbo S, Takenaka
K, Takeshita T, Todoriki H, Wada Y, Watanabe T, Ikeda M: Assessment of human exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls and polybrominated
diphenyl ethers in Japan using archived samples from the early 1980s and
mid-1990s, Environ Res, 99, 31-39 (2005).
- Wada Y, Koizumi A, Yoshinaga T, Harada K, Inoue K, Morikawa A, Muroi J,
Inoue S, Eslami B, Hirosawa I, Hirosawa A, Fujii S, Fujimine Y, Hachiya N, Koda S, Kusaka Y, Murata K, Nakatsuka H, Omae K, Saito N, Shimbo S, Takenaka
K, Takeshita T, Todoriki H, Watanabe T, Ikeda M: Secular Trends and Geographical Variations in the Dietary Intake of Polybrominated
Diphenyl Ehters (PBDEs) Using Archived Samples from the Early 1980s and
1990s in Japan, J Occup Health, 47, 236-241 (2005).
- Hachiya N, Yajima N, Hatekeyama S, Yuno K, Okada N, Umeda Y, Wakata A: Induction of lacZ mutation of by 7,12-dimethylbenz-[a]anthracene in various
tissues of transgenic mice, Mutation Res, 444, 283-295 (1999).
- Hachiya N, Takizawa Y, Hisamatsu S, Abe T, Abe Y, Motohashi Y: Atmospheric mercury concentrations in the basin of Amazon, Brazil, Environ
Health Prev Med, 2, 183-187 (1998).
|Main resume, academic background, degree, award, etc.
|I had been working in the Department of Public Health, Akita University
School of Medicine until summer of 2000 when I moved to Minamata.